- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1979, cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.B.A., 1976, High Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Chuck is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. His practice focuses on the acquisition, financing, development and sale of office buildings, apartments, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other income producing properties, as well as leasing office space and restructuring troubled projects. He represents lenders and borrowers in financing transactions, purchasers and sellers in real estate transfers, landlords and tenants in commercial leasing transactions, developers in commercial and residential development projects and borrowers, investors and lenders in real estate workouts.
Chuck has extensive experience in Federal Housing Administration (FHA) insured financings and affordable housing transactions, having closed well over 1,000 FHA-insured loans on apartment properties, nursing homes and assisted living facilities located in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. His practice includes the negotiation and structuring of partnerships and joint ventures and tax planning for real estate transactions. In addition to his commercial real estate practice, Chuck represents purchasers and sellers in all aspects of the purchase and sale of mortgage banking firms and mortgage servicing rights, including transactions requiring approvals from Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Career highlights include:
- Representation of owner/developer in the redevelopment and rehabilitation of 750-units of project-based Section 8 affordable housing on scattered sites in a single neighborhood of a major metropolitan city. Representation includes structuring the redevelopment and rehabilitation transactions; negotiation of joint venture agreements with development and equity partners; negotiation with federal and state low income housing tax credit investor limited partners; due diligence; financing and review of construction and related agreements
Representation of a real estate development firm in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a joint venture transaction with an endowment fund of a major university with over $50 million in initial capital commitments for the acquisition and development of unspecified commercial real estate assets with an anticipated value of $200+ million
Representation of the purchaser in obtaining necessary approvals from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”) for changes in ownership and operation of 80 skilled nursing homes facilities located in 11 states and financed with HUD-insured loans. The purchase transaction involved the acquisition of assets of a nationwide healthcare business that included 160 skilled nursing facilities, physical therapy operations and pharmacy businesses
Representation of the owners of a $350 million portfolio of office, R&D and lab properties in connection with the negotiation and closing of several mortgage loans and a mezzanine bridge loan and the negotiation and closing of an equity investment by an institutional international equity investor
Representation of a group of real estate investors in connection with the sale of seven office/warehouse properties and the purchase and financing of three office/warehouse replacement properties in six separate tax-deferred, like-kind exchanges pursuant to Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code with an aggregate value in excess of $100 million. Representation included complex structuring, timing and coordination; preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements; negotiation of permanent financing and bridge financing documents; review, preparation and negotiation of organizational documents and tenancy-in-common agreements; and preparation of like-kind exchange documentation
- Representation of the owners of over a dozen office, research and development and biotech properties in Cambridge and suburban Boston, Massachusetts in connection with a tax-deferred roll-up and refinancing transaction, including the establishment of a credit facility of more than $500 million to finance existing properties and future acquisitions
- Representation of the developer of a 250,000 square foot retail power center development in Cincinnati, Ohio in connection with the acquisition, development, financing, and leasing of the project
- Representation of the lead lender in the financing of the development of a 400,000 square foot multi-use office, hotel, retail and parking garage project in Northern Kentucky which included a variety of private and public financing sources
- Representation of an Ohio-based bank in connection with the acquisition of a major housing and healthcare financing and low income housing tax credit investment business, which involved the transfer of a Fannie Mae delegated underwriting and servicing (DUS) business and the establishment of a new FHA-approved mortgage lender
- Representation of the seller of a major FHA-insured multifamily and Fannie Mae DUS mortgage lender and servicer to a large institutional investor in a complex, tax-advantaged transaction
- Representation of buyers and sellers of apartment properties in Texas in transactions involving over 5,000 units
Chuck is admitted to the practice of law in Ohio, Kentucky and Massachusetts. He is a member of the Kentucky State Bar Association, the Cincinnati Bar Association, the Eastern Lenders Association, the Southeast Mortgagee Advisory Council and the Western Mortgagee Advisory Council.
Chuck received his J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School and his B.B.A. with high distinction from the University of Michigan where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Beta Gamma Sigma.
Professional and Community Activities
- Cedar Village Retirement Community, Trustee, 2005-2014; Executive Committee Member, 2008-2014; Treasurer 2008-2014
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Real Estate, 2012-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cincinnati Real Estate Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2007-2017
- Leading Lawyer in Commercial & Contract Law, Cincy Magazine, 2006-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2004-2006 and 2008-2009
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 5/27/2016Vorys announced that 36 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2016 edition of Chambers USA.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 5/19/2015Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 5/23/2014Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2014 edition of Chambers USA.
- 2/3/2014Vorys is proud to announce nine attorneys from the Cincinnati office have been named “2014 Leading Lawyers” by Cincy Magazine.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/2/2013Charles Bissinger, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, was quoted in two stories that appeared in the August 2, 2013 edition of Columbus Business First.
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 2/1/2013Vorys announced that nine attorneys from the firm's Cincinnati office have been named “2013 Leading Lawyers” by Cincy Magazine. The Leading Lawyers survey is conducted annually by the magazine. Winners are nominated by colleagues outside their firm and chosen by a panel of their peers.
- 9/12/2012Six Vorys partners have been named 2013 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the Lawyer of the Year.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.
- 4/12/2012Kathleen Burtschi, of counsel in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office, was profiled in a Law360 article titled “Veteran HUD Atty Jumps To Vorys.” The article was about Burtschi’s 20 years of work at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and her move to Vorys’ HUD financing practice.
- 4/11/2012Vorys welcomed Kathleen Burtschi as of counsel in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Burtschi will join the firm’s Housing and Urban Development (HUD) finance practice, which is one of the largest in the country.
- 4/2/2012Cincinnati Enquirer Features the Vorys Cincinnati Office in Story Titled “Growing Demand Spurs Vorys' Growth”The Cincinnati Enquirer published a story regarding the Vorys Cincinnati office titled “Growing demand spurs Vorys' growth.” The story, featured a quote from Nate Lampley, the managing partner of the firm’s Cincinnati office, about the recent growth in the firm’s commercial and real estate group.
- 2/1/2012Vorys announced that nine attorneys from the firm's Cincinnati office have been named “2012 Leading Lawyers” by Cincy Magazine.