Mr. Bissinger is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. His practice focuses on the acquisition, financing, development and sale of office buildings, apartments, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other income producing properties, as well as leasing office space and restructuring troubled projects. He represents lenders and borrowers in financing transactions, purchasers and sellers in real estate transfers, landlords and tenants in commercial leasing transactions, developers in commercial and residential development projects and borrowers, investors and lenders in real estate workouts.
Mr. Bissinger has extensive experience in Federal Housing Administration (FHA) insured financings and affordable housing transactions, having closed well over 1,000 FHA-insured loans on apartment properties, nursing homes and assisted living facilities located in 45 states. His practice includes the negotiation and structuring of partnerships and joint ventures and tax planning for real estate transactions. In addition to his commercial real estate practice, Mr. Bissinger represents purchasers and sellers in all aspects of the purchase and sale of mortgage banking firms and mortgage servicing rights, including transactions requiring approvals from Fannie Mae, Ginnie Mae and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Career highlights include:
- Representing the owners of over a dozen office, research and development and biotech properties in Cambridge and suburban Boston, Massachusetts in connection with a tax-deferred roll-up and refinancing transaction, including the establishment of a credit facility of more than $500 million to finance existing properties and future acquisitions
- Representing the developer of a 250,000 square foot retail power center development in Cincinnati, Ohio in connection with the acquisition, development, financing, and leasing of the project
- Representing the lead lender in the financing of the development of a 400,000 square foot multi-use office, hotel, retail and parking garage project in Northern Kentucky which included a variety of private and public financing sources
- Representing an Ohio-based bank in connection with the acquisition of a major housing and healthcare financing and low income housing tax credit investment business, which involved the transfer of a Fannie Mae delegated underwriting and servicing (DUS) business and the establishment of a new FHA-approved mortgage lender
- Representing the seller of a major FHA-insured multifamily and Fannie Mae DUS mortgage lender and servicer to a large institutional investor in a complex, tax-advantaged transaction
- Representing buyers and sellers of apartment properties in Texas in transactions involving over 5,000 units
Mr. Bissinger is admitted to the practice of law in Ohio, Kentucky and Massachusetts. He is a member of the Kentucky State Bar Association, the Cincinnati Bar Association, the Eastern Lenders Association, the Southeast Mortgagee Advisory Council and the Western Mortgagee Advisory Council.
Mr. Bissinger is a frequent speaker on topics related to FHA-insured financings and affordable housing at various conferences, including conferences held by the Western Mortgage Advisory Council, the Eastern Lenders' Association and the Southeast Mortgagee Advisory Council.
Mr. Bissinger received his J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School and his B.B.A. with high distinction from the University of Michigan where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Beta Gamma Sigma.
Professional and Community Activities
- Cedar Village Retirement Community, Trustee, Executive Committee Member and Treasurer
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Real Estate, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cincinnati Real Estate Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2007-2013
- Leading Lawyer in Commercial & Contract Law, Cincy Magazine, 2006-2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2004-2006 and 2008-2009
- Nine Vorys Attorneys Selected As 2013 Leading Lawyers By Cincy Magazine
- Six Vorys Attorneys Named 2013 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Thirty-five Vorys Attorneys Listed in 2012 Edition of Chambers USA
- Law360 Article Profiles Vorys Attorney Kathleen Burtschi
- Vorys Continues Expansion of HUD Finance Practice
- Cincinnati Enquirer Features the Vorys Cincinnati Office in Story Entitled “Growing Demand Spurs Vorys' Growth”
- Nine Vorys Attorneys Selected As 2012 Leading Lawyers By Cincy Magazine
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Nine Vorys Attorneys Selected As 2010 Leading Lawyers By Cincy Magazine
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Eight Vorys Attorneys Selected As 2009 Leading Lawyers By Cincy Magazine
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers